Sunday, May 18, 2008

Snake Season Begins

Well, we saw the first evidence of snakes here yesterday when we trailed cows. We saw three bull snakes. They are big and icky to be sure, but they are harmless and do their part in the ecosystem. We leave them alone.


Today, a friend of the Cowgirls from church came home with us. We had warned her that we'd started to see snakes out. I was in the horse barn with the Rancher when I heard her yell. She said she thought she'd heard a rattle. I went to where she pointed and sure enough, there was a BIG rattlesnake in the path that we all take from the house to the barn. I had come armed with a horse brush, but suddenly that felt like not quite enough! I grabbed a big stick and as I approached, that too seemed not quite long enough! The Rancher was taking a long time to show up, so I went and got my pistol. A 9mm round put me at a safe distance and did the job. The Rancher finished him with some very large rocks and then removed the rattles and awarded them to the girl from church. There were nine buttons! It was a good sized snake.

The picture seems a bit blurry, but I may have still been shaking a bit! The nail is two inches long, for reference.

Now it may be agrued that rattlesnakes do their part in the ecosystem as well. But they are not allowed to do it in my yard, around my kids, friends, dogs, horses, etc... So here's the official warning to rattlesnakes on this ranch... don't mess with this ranchwife!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

Glad you are a good shot!

That is just scary! You are a little more lenient with the bull snakes than I am though. I don't mind having them around, just not near me, my house and my kids.

That said, last summer/fall, the patio door was left open a crack (couldn't see it) and a cute little garter snake found his way into my basement. I was nice and let him live (but I did scootch him out the door with a tile spade (in one piece) so he could do his snake thing (OUTSIDE MY HOUSE!).

Wendi said...

Well now, if a bull snake were inside the yard fence, I may have a different opinion! And belive me, since the door was open a lot today I did wonder about how I woudl dispose of a rattler if he got in the house! eeeeeewwww!

Kim said...

We are also seeing the return of the rattlesnakes around here. Last year Paul killed at least 3 right outside the backdoor, we are hoping for a few less this year.

Wolf Pack said...

Awww, and All I have is roaches (which Sean now distinguishes from "bugs" and calls "Roak" - We're getting there) and my friendly neighborhood bug man just came by and sprayed the outside of my house so they're nice dead roaches (I know they probably have their part too but I don't "do" bugs - they must die).

Michelle said...

Can you bring your pistol to KS for my giant brown recluse spiders? My husband just found a huge one in my kitchen sink this morning! GROSSS!!! I'm glad he found it....

Elephantschild said...

Ooo, if my Dad had had a 9mm pistol when I was growing up, he and our night watch guard wouldn't have to club that cobra to death with a machete and a shovel! ::shudder:: Thank goodness it was outside the house, but mercy, it took two people to put it down.