Friday, May 2, 2008

Got ELK?

We've got elk! The plan was to do a blog post on the wildlife here at the ranch...someday. But the elk pictures I have taken in the last few days are worthy of their own post. It started yesterday before dinner when we checked the heifers we noticed some elk in the next pasture. So I went to the house, grabbed the camera and sneaked up over the hill to get close.




Tonight we saw them from the dining room window coming over the fence... so I sneaked some more....




When I had been back in the house for awhile I walked around the corner into the dining room and my jaw dropped. There were about 200 head of head right outside the window!!!! So these pictures were taken from the warmth of the dining room... no sneaking necessary.

As you can see, our May blizzard is over and the sun is out. It'll be a COLD night, but the high should be 55 tomorrow! Gotta love spring!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

Can I come live with you? The views are breathtaking...but I could do without the May blizzards, but at least it will be melting tomorrow. How deep are the drifts? These pictures don't look too deep, anyway.

Wendi said...

The drifts were 2 ft in some places, but they have settled already... It started melting even before dark last night! And yes, you can come live with me, just bring chocolate!

Kristi said...

I'll start packing (the chocolate that is.....)

Cheryl said...

Kristi took the words right out of my mouth. Your ranch looks like heaven!

Wendi said...

Cheryl,
I'm sure that heaven will be wonderful since Christ promised he is preparing a place for us... Is it sinful of me to hope for sagebrush just beyond the city with streets paved in gold?

AmusedMomma said...

Wendi, I'm hoping for the same thing in heaven! Like in Psalm 121, my inspiration comes from the hills that our Lord created.

What beauty you have available to you on a daily basis.

Paula