Thursday, May 15, 2008

Our first cattle drive at the Duncan Ranch

Well, today is a gloomy cloudy day, so why not reminisce about a sunny day about a week ago when we had our first trail drive since we have lived here at the Duncan Ranch. We moved our old grandma cows and the heifers that had already calved to the North Pasture. The crew was just the Rancher, the three cowgirls and myself.


The Littlest Cowgirl exclaimed as we left the gate of the Hogback Pasture, "Let's take 'em to the North Pasture!"


So we headed down the road. There was a bit of "goofing-off" by two of the cowgirls.


The Rancher always likes to count 'em through the gate. Not my favorite job! I usually lose track, or at least worry that I am going to lose track!



Since we have just moved here, the cows are all "new-to-us" and had to be re-branded with our "Bar Double L" brand. We think it looks very nice!


I really enjoy watching the Rancher and the Cowgirls work together... That's the Redheaded Cowgirl there.



And for now, I have my Littlest Cowgirl close by for company... but it won't last long, as she keeps asking if she can ride by herself! Oi!



Once we got them through the gate, we weren't done... The Rancher rode around the fence to be sure gates were closed and to fix any holes, and us girls still had to take the cows to the windmill so they would know where to find water. Since I am still leading the Littlest Cowgirl on her pony, "Polly", I really depend on the other cowgirls to get the job done...



They do a good job, too...



Here's the view from the back of my horse....



And this is a picture of a happy cow...



And the Littlest Cowgirl, still smiling at the end of the trail...




13 comments:

Scott said...

Excellent pics! Thanks for the update. Looks like a nice day for working out there.

we're having gloomy weather, of course! The weekend is here.

Unknown said...

That littlest cowgirl sure is cute! :) I am surprised Scott didn't ask if you needed a some ranch hands after pictures like that! lol What beautiful scenery you have.

Wolf Pack said...

My oh my! They sure do look grown up sitting on horses and working! Here I thought Ian was all grown up getting his laundry to the laundry room all by himself! :( :) Going to have to buy a cow in DC - at least I can teach him how to milk one!
I still wish we were going north to go east. :( Sigh, the things I do for Amanda! ;) 4 days to DC so we can go to NYC and see the sights. :)
Going to try and send your pics she took and won 1st and 3rd prize with by next week! ;)

Wendi said...

LOL! Jenn, they may be able to ride and herd cattle, but they can't get their laundry off the bedroom floor!

Anonymous said...

Hi there. Great pictures, can you tell me if this is the 'Duncan Ranch' that was donated to the state by Hugh Duncan?

All the best

Pat

Wendi said...

Hi Pat,
This is the same Duncan Ranch. However, one correction, the state bought it from Mr. Duncan. We are very blessed to be the holders of the ag lease.

Thanks for asking,
Wendi

Anonymous said...

Sorry Wendy - realised my mistake later on. Wow what good fortune for you to ne able to lease the ranch.
Do you have any history of the Duncans?
The reason I am asking is we think that my partner George Duncan who farms here in Scotland could be related to Hugh Duncan. We have letters from people speaking of the 'Duncan Ranch' but we are not in contact with anyone at the moment who could tell us more.
Hope you can help.
I breed Highland ponies here in Scotland, so love the photos of your horses and the youngest wrangler.
All the best

Pat

Wendi said...

Pat,
How neat! I don't know much about the Duncan History, but I would also like to know more. We've only been here a year, so haven't had a lot of time to investigate.

The Cowgirls were very excite to hear that you raise Highland ponies. They have a game that has one in it!

Keep in touch and we can share whatever either of us find on the ranch history. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy my blog!

Regards,
Wendi

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendi - Love the blog - We will let you know if we find out anything definate.
If you would like to send me an e-mail address I will send some photos of our ponies to the girls -In 2007 a mare of ours had twin foals both now rising 2 - very exiting if exhausting for all of us and a long story!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I could contact you via 'mary anns beans'?
All the best
Pat

Wendi said...

Pat,
You can email pictures, and the story if you want :-) to me at ranchwife at gmail dot com. Once I get your email I will try and delete this comment.

Thanks,
Wendi

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendi

I have sent some photos etc from my hotmail e-mail. Can you let me know if you get them ok. If not I can send them from another e-mail.

Thanks
Pat

Anonymous said...

Hi folks,

My name is Lynne Evans, and I am the granddaughter of the elder Hugh Duncan. I would love to be in touch with anyone who wants to know about the history of the ranch. It was my very favorite place in the whole world. My email address is mtwyo_gal@yahoo.com.
Best regards,
Lynne (Lesiek-Duncan) Evans

Unknown said...

I found the blog while shopping through Google. I am the Hugh Duncan who sold the ranch to the State of Wyoming. Wendi, it is so good to see a young couple, and young children, back on the ranch. I loved it there, and came by your place last summer to meet you folks but you weren't home. Anything you want to know, let me know. Hugh Duncan, ishawooa@yahoo.com