Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I love my husband!

And he must love me, because he kindly laughs at my (mis)adventures! Like the day before yesterday when a friend from church came out to have the Rancher show him the chores that he will be doing next week while we run away on a family vacation to AZ! Said friend's wife (who is of course also a friend) came in to visit with me in the house. We were discussing the decor when I lamented once again about my carpet and how I wished that there was hardwood floors underneath, as would be befitting a ranch house of the age of this one (Built in the 20's I think). So I said, "Ya know, I really shoud pull up a corner of the carpet in the living room and see if the floor in here is different from the floor in the dining room" (where I had already discovered plywood). I did, and happy day!!!! there was hardwood!



Well, then I issued the challange to my friend. "You know if (other crazy friend from church) was here, we'd have this carpet out in the next ten minutes." Come to find out I have more than one crazy friend from church! She took the challange and we started cutting and ripping out carpet. Oh how proud the Rancher was going to be! New floors and very little expense!


**It must be noted here, that the plan to remove the carpet and put in new hard floors (wood or laminate) had already been discussed and all partties were agreeable.



I was basking in the glow of polished harwood, when the next tug on the carpet revealed...... plywood. About half way across the room the floor changes to wall-to-wall plywood. UGH! Now I started to sweat! What would the Rancher say when he came back to find heaps of carpeting on the porch and the naked half hardwood/half plywood living room floor! We finished ripping out carpet, but I was nervous! Finally I called the Rancher on his cell phone, so he wouldn't get the surprise visually... Blessed man just laughed at me! That cheerful, loving, I feel for you, you big goofball, laugh. I love my husband!




So, for my friends far away who wish to help me now with my dilema and wanted photos... here we go. And for my friends who were hoping for beautiful ranch pictures... maybe next time!



7 comments:

Elephantschild said...

YAY! It's not only old hardwood, it's MAPLE!

Where is the dividing line bwtn the hardwood and the plywood? Is it at a "logical" place? Because then you could consider laminate or good-quality sheet vinyl over the plywood part and you'd just have a change in flooring at that point where they meet.

(I'm ashamed to say I had stopped following your blog a ways back - I thought maybe you'd given up on it!)

turnlikeawheel said...

Yup, that sounds just about right.

Wolfdog said...

At least it's half hardwood. When my mom and dad did ours, it's was ALL plywood. And it was like that for a while.
P.s. I want my horsey! :(

Wolf Pack said...

Did that, but the plywood was REALLY small. ;) Got good at running the sander. I KNOW there's real wood floors under the carpet here - I've seen evidence, but... it's a rental - such a waste. :( And such a pain to keep the carpeting clean. :(

Have fun! ;) I'm about two months behind on my blog reading and blogging. :(

Wolfdog said...

You need to blog some more. Blog about pickles. And lobsters. And saddle-breaking cows. I think that's a good post. Oh, yeah, and blog about Wakyia:D

Wendi said...

Shurtugal,
Shouldn't you be in school little girl?

Samuel Eldred said...

You really have a good idea in planning to change your floors to make it look more beautiful. As for me, I can make my floors look more beautiful by just changing some old rugs or simply by doing some carpet cleaning (Bartlett). Carpet cleaning (Bartlett, IL-based) shops are just near our home I often go there if my carpets are need to be cleaned.