Saturday, April 19, 2008

Blog of a Cowgirl

Well, off we go into the blogoshpere. I was undecided on the name of my blog. "Blog of a Cowgirl" is a take-off of the book, "The Log of a Cowboy", by Andy Adams, which was first published in 1903. While I'm a cowgirl, and always will be, as I mature (that's the polite way of saying I'm getting older) I enjoy identifying myself as being a ranchwife. I like to say, "Think of a housewife with a husband and three children, laundry, cooking, and cleaning, plus thousands of acres, a couple hundred head of cattle, several horses, some chickens...." Well, you get the idea.

So, I chose the name, Reminiscenses of a RANCHWIFE, as a take-off of the book, "Reminiscenses of a RANCHMAN", by Edgar Beecher Bronson, written sometime around 1910 as near as I can tell. Bronson came from "back east" and paid his dues as a "greenhorn" and finally settled on a ranch near the North Platte River, a little down-river from where we are now located. The similarities are close enough for me to snatch his title for my own. No, I'm not from "back-east" but I wasn't ranch raised and have now made better than a down-payment on the dues owed to attain the title of RANCHWIFE.

This is all fine and dandy... but I may loose my title if I don't get out and help my beloved husband gather the heifers!

11 comments:

Kristi said...

Welcome to the blogsphere! Good to have you here!

I am sure you will develop a loyal following as I have been wondering for some time if we might be able to follow your life on the ranch.

If I knew how, I would send you some Cyber-Chocolate! So consider yourself presented with a box of dark organic chocolate!

Looking forward to reading much more and enjoying the beautiful pictures.

Cheryl said...

What fun! Another Looper to add to my blogroll! (You can never have too many, you know--hope you'll add mine to yours!)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad you decided to take the plunge! :)
I was just thinking about you this afternoon & trying to figure out when we could visit your ranch in real life. . .so for the moment I am glad to be able to see pictures!

Glenda said...

Oh welcome to blogging! I love the top picture of horses and mountains.

Anonymous said...

WOW this is NEAT.
I will love following the trail with you all!!
Thanks
DEB

Wolf Pack said...

YIPPEE!!! It's like Pioneer Woman, but I know you! So cool!!! Hey, I may not blog every day but put mine on here too! ;) :)
www.homesteadblogger.com/gonorthyoungpack
I'm going to show Ian pics and see if he recognizes Clara - Amanda's memory card died before we got all her pictures uploaded to the computer. :(
Hugs to everyone!
Jenn

Anonymous said...

You've gone over to the blog-side!

I love the pictures. I'm off to add you to my Looper Blog bookmarks.

Anonymous said...

YeeeHaaaaw! Can't wait to get up that way and see all this first hand! You are missed in Craig, but we know you're in the right place, sooooo, when's branding?
Pastor T.

Genuine Lustre said...

Awesome! So glad to have a horse named after me.

Whenever you feel like a visit from a teenage heifer-lover from Ohio, let us know. Maybe she could meet up with any other *friends* she might happen to have in the cowboy state........

Unknown said...

great to hear from you again! Your new place looks wonderful...we miss you all, but know that you are where you are supposed to be.

Scott said...

coool. I'll be watching!